Sunday, June 3, 2012

Is it really June?

The past month and a half has been packed full of life ;) May flew by as I prepared for our school musical, City of Angels, went on a 3 day silent retreat, helped with our principal's daughter's soccer team, visited Emily Weber when she was in New York, chaperoned prom, started teaching an art class, visited with family, and went home for Lucy's graduation!

I was in charge of costuming for City of Angels which ended up being a huge task. I had no idea what I got myself into when I agreed to do it. Our school has very little budget for renting so I basically came up with the costumes from our small costume selection, Good Will runs, and different clothes the kids brought in that they owned. It ended up being a great show and the kids were thrilled, once again making all the stress worth it :)

The silent retreat was in Garrison, NY, at a retreat center. I didn't really know what to expect going into the retreat but I found that it was truly awesome. I have never heard God speak so clearly to me. I had been debating whether or not to do another GSV year and there were multiple times that I read something that weekend or heard something that lead me to have a ton of peace about returning to Colorado. It has definitely taken a lot of trust to make the decision to go home but I know it's the right thing. I'm currently looking for jobs in design as well as education so we'll see where I end up :) The hardest part about leaving will be the people. I know I'm ready to move on from the experience, but it has already proven to be difficult to tell people I won't be back. I'm thankful I had so much peace at the retreat about going home because it's given me comfort when I fear I've made the wrong choice or get sad about leaving. Prom was one event that really made me question my decision. It was so fun to see the students dressed up, feeling good about themselves (uncommon for many of them) and having fun. But I have to remember that every day at school doesn't always feel like prom and I made my decision because it's what's best for me and my future... lots of lessons in trusting this month :)

Going home for Lulu's graduation was sooo wonderful. I'm so proud of her for graduating and for all of the hard work she did, especially during her senior year. She's going to school for graphic design which is very fitting for her artistic skillzzz :) It was also just really great to be home with my family. I miss them so much and we always have to much fun when we're together! My cousin is a professional photographer and was there for her party and took lots of pictures... check it out-- he's super artsy, too!! http://www.mikelesnickgallery.com/p778490474



June 14th is our last day of classes for the students and graduation is the 15th. I'm sure it'll be pretty emotional... I'm forever grateful for this year with these kids and the staff at Collier. I have grown in so many ways and learned so much about how to love myself and the world. If I could give one message to the students, it would be a message I'd send to my high school self as well. I'd say something like this... forgive me if it's cheesey:

Love yourself.
Love your neighbor.
Don't be so judgmental of yourself.
Don't be so judgmental of your neighbor.
Recognize that you have valuable ideas and skills to contribute to the world which may be expressed in different ways.
Recognize that your neighbors have valuable ideas and skills to contribute to the world which may be expressed in different ways.
It cannot not work out- all things are leading you to where you need to be tomorrow. 
I believe in you, the staff believes in you, and God believes in you- believe in yourself.


"You may feel like giving up, but I know you've always got more to give. You just have to believe in your ability to achieve." -Jillian Michaels

No comments:

Post a Comment