Tonite, I sit in the quiet of the apartment questioning whether or not I made the right decision to stay home. There was an informational meeting tonite in NY at the Astoria residence (another GSV site) for the School of the Americas protest that happens in November. I'm not big on protesting but after thinking about it, it may be good to try it and just see what it's like. So anyways, I decided the trip would be too much for me today, and I'm just trying to remind myself of that and not be so hard on myself for not going. I guess setting boundaries for myself is part of my simplicity for this year. I think I try to do everything and sometimes I get myself into trouble/spread myself thin. Another boundary I should set is how much I let my thoughts consume my thoughts- if that makes any sense ;) Basically, I need not dwell in something but rather let it be.
St. Mary Euphrasia is the foundress of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. She helped troubled children during most of her life... thus, Good Shepherd Volunteers have a specific call to women and children affected by abuse, neglect and poverty. She once said, "You have to adapt to all circumstances. Do the best you can, while remembering that, according to the spirit of our calling, we must be everything to everyone." I love this quote and think it's fitting for my torn feelings about staying home tonight... at least the beginning of the quote- adapting to all circumstances and doing the best you can. The end of the quote- the part about being everything to everyone- is questionable to me, simply because I don't think we can be everything to everyone. Not everyone will be pleased when we try to do something or say something. Maybe she meant that we should do our best to be the best we can for everyone. That is something I'd agree with.
Another one of her quotes is, "Oh, how much love and compassion we must have for those entrusted to our care. Love them, love them very much! Make them happy, very happy." This is sort of my theme or mantra for the year.my life. Love and compassion are two things that can help any situation for anyone. The kids at Collier all need and want to be loved. Sometimes it can be frustrating to work with the kids, especially when they're stubborn or know that they're "working the system". But in the end, they just want love. I interviewed a social worker at the school today... just as an informational interview. She was talking about her experiences and about the population we're working with at the school. A lot of people suggest that if we want to go into counseling or anything with social work, we should just get our MSW because there are a lot more opportunities with an MSW vs a Masters in School Counseling. Buuuut let's be real, I don't know what I'm doing next year so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it... for now, I'll just continue the year and "love them, love them very much!"
St. Mary Euphrasia, pray for us.
"Draw near to our Lord, thoroughly aware of you own nothingness, and you may hope all things from His Goodness and Mercy. Never forget that Jesus Christ is no less generous in the Blessed Sacrament than He was during His mortal life on earth."
-St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier
"Another boundary I should set is how much I let my thoughts consume my thoughts- if that makes any sense ;) "
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you figure that out. Your mom has taught me that "Analysis is paralysis." I hope it's okay I'm reading your blogs. I appreciate them very much.
Take care, Anne!
Love,
Linda Pickert
I think it means to be present, or just genuinely care-which you do! That's who you have been since I met you :) Just stay you and those doubts will fall away! Lots of love
ReplyDeleteKaren