Friday, September 2, 2011

Not a fan, Irene, Not. A. Fan

Who survived an earthquake and hurricane in one week? This kid... that's right folks, ur talkin to a well rounded severe weather fightin force right hurrr.... ;) actually it wasn't bad at all and that's a highly over exaggerated statement. The earthquake felt like someone kicking my chair (aka not that big) and the hurricane involved lots of wind and rain.... There were lots of trees down on our property and some flooding in surrounding neighborhoods, but we live on a hill so we were clear of floods. The worst part was losing power and hot water for a few days but we kinda got used to it. One of the tenants of Good Shepherd Volunteers is simplicity... so it was kinda simplicity on steroids- no showers, putting together all kinds of strange meals with the food we had, candle light at night, no drying/straightening hair, no laundry. But really it was only a few days and we survived! :)

This week, we've been getting situated in the school and belay certified (maintaining, monitoring, and helping people stay suspended on a rock wall). They have a rock wall and ropes course on the school campus for the youth- I love it and can't wait to do it with the students. They have so many neat classes and opportunities for the students here like the ropes course, film classes, and a cosmetology class. We also went crabbing yesterday with Ray, our principal, in the bay off the shore. I probably caught 10 crabs but only 2 were big enough to eat. I feel like I've learned so much this week and it's only the first week! I can't wait for this year! Ray's family has also been so wonderful in welcoming the GSVs... His wife and three daughters are so sweet and I have been enjoying getting to know all of them... his daughters LOVE disney and the performing arts... automatic A+ for those kids in my grade book ;)

I may have mentioned this in a previous post but the religious sisters here are absolutely wonderful. They are so hospitable and I feel so at home. I think that has been a major part in helping me transition- I feel so safe and comfortable with them living right below us. They have made us dinner a couple times and were very helpful during the hurricane-- they gave us food, water, and ice to keep the cold food cold. After the hurricane, we helped them rake the entrance road to the school and scrubbed out their pool... They say we don't need to repay them but of course we like to give back so we were happy to help in those ways.

We were also blessed to have one of the previous GSVs from Collier stay with us for a couple nights because her flight home got canceled with the hurricane... so we had a great time getting to know her and drilling her with questions- poor girl was probably so ready to get out of here so no one asked her any more questions! haha... She said she didn't mind because of course she loved her experience here... can't wait to see what the year holds in store for us!

There's a chapel in the convent and I'm thinking about getting up and praying each morning before work. I think it's so important for me to have that time in prayer (which I haven't had recently) and a great way to start the day. Plus i've been running around the campus here- it's so beatufiul and i'll be very sad when winter comes and I can't run outside anymore. There are a few different routes I can take and it's all through the forests with a family of deer every once in a while- very peaceful here :)

That's all for now- i'll post an album on facebook with pics so you can see some of what i'm talking about :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are journaling your experience here Anne. I am going to email you so we can maybe come down to visit soon. :)

    ReplyDelete