Monday, October 17, 2011

Somethinnn'. Somethin' about this place...

Last week flewwww by! We had Monday off for Columbus day. A few of us went to the beach because it was free (no fees after labor day!) and it was sooo nice. The weather was beautiful and there was barely anyone where we parked it. Then we had school Tuesday-Thursday. Thursday afternoon we went to our Community Retreat at a retreat center conveniently located 1/4 mile from where we live :) The weekend was centered around our community and how we relate/clash with each other. We took the Enneagram test to find out our personality types. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the test because it puts people in a box and can be focused on negative things, but it was a good test for becoming aware of differences between me and my community members. We also got to see the other Good Shepherd Volunteers from NYC... it's always fun to see them! :)

Mid summer, I made a comment in a blog about wanting to feel healthier by Christmas. I think I've definitely made some positive changes. First, being at this school and working with these kids has been such a blessing. I can tell that my heart is happier here and I'm doing something that really makes me happy. My thoughts and relationships are all a lot healthier. Also, while it's a work in progress, I've definitely had a better perspective on self-image recently. We have to learn to love ourselves. Lots of prayer and self love and acceptance are key recipes for happiness within.

So, here I sit, listening to country music on my computer (through my headphones cuz my roommates don't like country music haha), sipping tea and reflecting on the year so far in NJ. I've already thought about how sad I will be when I have to leave (although I try not to dwell in that and just enjoy the moments). I feel spoiled to be here. So many learning opportunities and experiences. The joy I have has lead me to believe that this sort of work may be what I've been called to all along. Why I didn't turn to this sooner, I'm not sure. But I do know that all things lead us to where we're meant to be. Our ways are not always God's ways! We may feel uncomfortable or like we're not happy at times, but truly, with faith in the One who loves us, we can have hope for good things to come.

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you.
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who possesses God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
-St. Theresa of Avila

1 comment:

  1. Anne, thinking of you and appreciating your thoughts with wonder and envy that you are living your life.
    Much love,
    Susan Puckett

    ReplyDelete