Monday, December 22, 2014

Back in the Saddle Again

Well, it's been quiteeee some time since i've made any entries and I'm not sure anyone follows this anymore, but I would like to get "back in the saddle again" and write on here more, simply to document my journey and have something to look back upon. 

The greatest joy in my life right now is volunteering and riding at Colorado Springs Therapeutic Riding Center. I spend Sundays working with the kiddos and get to ride myself on Fridays. I absolutely love every minute I get at the riding center. It truly is what brings me joy and I am so grateful for the opportunities I've been given to participate so much at CSTRC! I have fallen in love with the horses there and it's been neat to nourish friendships with them, too. After talking with many wonderful friend and family, I've come to a new understanding of pursing the things we love. I'm not quite sure if I can express the passion and love I have for the riding center... so I suppose it is what I must pursue! My friend, Erin, asked me tonight if I would call it an "unbridled love" hahaha... punny and YES! Unbridled love :) The riding center empowers the kids that ride and has truly changed so many lives, including my own. For those who don't know, the horses's gait is closest to that of a human, so it's very physically therapeutic for people, as well as emotionally and mentally. My friend, Jen, has been taking lessons since she was very young. She's the reason I started volunteering at therapeutic riding centers. I would go with her and watch when we were little, and when I was old enough, I started volunteering and helping with her lessons. Her mom, Kathy, swears by therapeutic riding and believes it's the only physical therapy that has worked for Jen. I have to agree. When I side-walked with Jen in high school, she was very weak and had little to no core strength. It would take myself and another person walking next to the horse just to hold her up straight on the horse. Kathy recently sent me a photo of Jen (below) and, while she still needs some assistance, her strength is clearly much improved and I was impressed to see that one of the sidewalkers is basically just there as a spotter! The slogan at CSTRC is "the ultimate horse power" and indeed, it is! The second picture below is Jen getting kisses from Sugar after a lesson :) 





When I grow up I wanna be like Jen, so I guess an obvious first step is to get up on the horse every week, right?! ;) Here's me on Broadway, my main man at CSTRC.



Thanks for riding along with me on this journey... It's wonderful to share with so many beautiful people. More to follow... 

No comments:

Post a Comment