Saturday, March 21, 2015

Friends of the Bible

I've been thinking a lot recently about a couple friendships in the Bible. The relationship between Simon of Cyrene and Jesus has always been an inspiration to me and recently, the relationship between Mary and Elizabeth while they are both pregnant has brought me a lot of joy. So here's my reflection on these two friendships... 


Simon Of Cyrene and Jesus
I may have already mentioned this friendship in a previous post but I am so moved by the image of Simon helping Jesus carry his cross. Even as I write this, my heart is stirring with happiness. I think it is critical that we recognize that Jesus, a man like us in all things but sin, humbled himself to accept help in carrying his cross. I know I have had to humbly accept help many times in my life and I am so grateful to the family, friends, therapists, and spiritual directors who have helped me carry my cross. It's not easy to accept help, especially in a world of "anything you can do, I can do." and "I'm in complete control of my life." and "I'll prove that I can do this on my own."... Again I emphasize, Jesus Christ humbly accepted help in carrying his cross. We were not born into this world to walk alone or in fear or in shame. Jesus came to the world so that we might live life to the fullest (John 10:10)! And yes, "in this world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). Jesus came so that we would have an example of the way to live and love so that we might have eternal life with him! Take heart! Look for the "Simon(s)" in your life. What a gift to have these family members, friends, advisors, coaches, spiritual directors, therapists, etc to help us carry our crosses. I encourage you and myself to accept the help when it comes and ask for it when you need it. It may not be easy, but what if it brings you into a fuller life united with Christ? So worth it. 


Mary and Elizabeth
My lenten reflection book that I mentioned in a previous post did a meditation on The Visitation (Luke 1:39-56) this week. I was very moved by the way the book broke down the story and keyed in on specific parts of the story. Mary had just been told by the Angel Gabriel that she was pregnant with the Son of God, and journeyed to visit Elizabeth who was also pregnant with John the Baptist. Here are a couple lines from the meditation: 

"Mary journeys "with haste": a desire to assist Elizabeth in her time of need... and, perhaps, a personal need to charter mystery of the Child conceived in her womb with the only one who, because of her own experience, may be able to understand...

The women speak... and both are filled with joy, both are strengthened in the task God has given them... I ask of the Lord the gift of such sharing with others in my own life..."

-An Ignatian Introduction to Prayer by Timothy M. Gallagher, OMV- Meditation 16

I love this image! What a perfect image of friendship! I recently met with my priest about my recent struggle to trust the gift of God's voice so strongly present in my prayer. It sometimes feels lonely and I question if it's God because any time I talk to others, they don't seem to understand. My priest asked me to pray for someone to come into my life that would understand this gift from God and be able to relate. My heart was so moved when I read the meditation above because I was joyful that Mary and Elizabeth had each other. They were filled with joy and were strengthened by the task God gave them! Mary stayed with Elizabeth for three months, so I can only imagine the comfort and help they brought to one another. I pray that you and I would find an Elizabeth in our lives-- someone who understands and brings us joy and strength in the tasks of our lives.  


So. I have to say again, I am so grateful for the people God has placed in my life. I have shared so much joy with so many people in the way Elizabeth and Mary rejoiced together. I've also shared so many struggles (both my own and those of other people) with so many people. Sometimes it's an unexpected new friendship or mentor, someone like Simon who was called out of a crowd to help Jesus. Sometimes it's a chat with a dear friend over the phone or over coffee. My encouragement to you and myself is to be a Simon and Elizabeth for others. You never know what crosses others may be carrying and perhaps you can relate. Also, pray for a Simon and Elizabeth in your life. Give thanks when you recognize their presence. Love one another as Christ has loved us. For "wherever two or three are gathered in My name, I am there in their midst." (Matthew 18:20).


No comments:

Post a Comment